Our Mission and Vision
The Mission of the UST Museum is aligned with UST's mission to safeguard its tangible cultural properties and open education to the public, and pursue a leading educational role in Cultural Heritage Studies by competent and compassionate professionals committed to the service of the church, the nation, and the global community.
The UST Museum envisions itself as a leading center of cultural heritage dynamism in the University in the fulfillment of its vision as a premier institution of learning in Asia, committed to the professional and moral formation of her stakeholders for social transformation.
A BRIEF HISTORY AND OVERVIEW
The University of Santo Tomas Museum, considered as the oldest existing museum in the Philippines, was formally established in 1869, to comply with the 1865 Reglamento de Segunda Enseñanza that required all first class colleges to have a Museo de Historia Natural. Originally located in Intramuros, the UST Museum was later transferred to its present site at the paraninfo of the UST Main Building, built in 1928 in the Sampaloc district of Manila.
The paraninfo was meant to be a multi-purpose hall for academic functions or cultural events.
Another professor at the University and Director of the Museum was Rev. Fr. Ramon Martinez Vigil, later on Bishop of Oviedo in Spain, who wrote a “Curso de Historia Natural.” This work was edited in Madrid in 1883 but was written in Manila and continually refers to the Philippines. There are over one hundred references to the natural resources of the Philippines and over a dozen express mentions of the collection at the Museum.
THE UST MUSEUM LOGO
The UST Museum logo copies the form of the capitals found in the different parts of the Main Building. The word capital from the Latin word, caput, means head. For this, the logo presents the Museum as the leader or head in giving witness and preserving the heritage of the four glorious centuries of the University of Santo Tomas. The name University of Santo Tomas Museum, Manila encircles the logo, that takes the place of the longer version: University of Santo Tomas Museum of Arts and Sciences. Underneath is 1869, the official year of the Museum’s inauguration.
Furthermore, at closer look, the logo is also an image of woven strips of materials like a banig or sawali. This signifies the UST Museum’s role as promoter of culture which is the fabric of every society, and its expansion beyond mere repository of artifacts to being an active agent of promoting the cultural heritage of humanity: our Catholic Thomasian heritage, OUR IDENTITY!